Matrix Remediation Blog
Very few homeowners have been lucky enough to avoid home damage of one type or another. It could be a flood with water damage; a fire with smoke damage; even a mold infiltration. And in most cases, there’s no warning and no expectation. The damage itself is devastating enough - let alone the confusion, chaos, and stress that follows. But with a good damage restoration company on hand, the disruption can be effectively managed and the damage successfully restored.
By any description, mold has been associated (directly or indirectly) with negative health effects. Whether its mold sensitivity, allergic reactions, physical infections, or physiological disease, there are human side effects with exposure to mold. On one hand, mold conjures up damp carpeting, water leakage, and soggy drywall. On the other hand, there is also good mold: penicillin, yeast, and various fungus strains (mushrooms). As for so-called “bad molds”, some can be dangerous.
When allergy reactions and symptoms are more prevalent inside a home than out, there may be reason to suspect mold. This applies to a residential home as well as a workplace, mainly because of the dramatic difference between the inside and outside environments. And although there are other reasons for respiratory symptoms to surface, checking for mold is one of the more obvious.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral used for over 150 years on an enormous and industrial commercial scale. It is an extremely versatile product used ideally for fireproofing and as insulation. Unfortunately, it can also be harmful and even deadly for those mishandling the material, causing serious lung diseases such as mesothelioma, asbestosis and lung cancer. It is recommended for loosely-bound asbestos to only be removed by a licensed professional, as there are extreme health risks that can come with handling this type of material.
A water leak in a business space can have devastating consequences if it’s not handled properly. Water leaks create health and safety hazards for employees, clients and customers, and can create long-term damage affecting the integrity of the building. To reduce the risk of irreparable harm being done to the building, there a number of measures one can take when you have a water leak at your business. Let’s explore them.
Mold is a general name for several types of fungi: patches of growths which are fuzzy and smelly. These growths can develop in many different colours, including black, brown, yellow, pink, green, and more. An enormous variety of species of mold are found both in both indoors and outdoors locations. Mold spores are a common component of dust found in workplaces and households. As such, it is prudent to inspect and secure occupied spaces from health risks of toxic mold. Mold in home or workplace buildings is a serious concern for the health of those who inhabit or work there. Up to 40 percent of American schools and 25 percent of homes are reported to have mold infestations of some kind.
Dealing with smoke damage can be a complicated and arduous process, so it is good to know the exact type of damage you are looking to rectify. Once the fire is safely put out, it is recommended to first contact your insurance provider immediately; they can provide advice on restoration or replacement of damaged items. If you rent, the owners must be notified so the damaged can be assessed by both parties. Insurance agents may be able to recommend a professional fire restoration service. Fire restorers help provide advice to prevent further damage, help determine which items can or cannot be restored, and help provide estimates and services for cleaning and deodorizing the building.
A water-damaged ceiling could be the result of several things, many of which are beyond control. In a residential home (or commercial building), there may have been a broken plumbing pipe, a roof or attic leak, even a severe rainfall. But in every case, immediate action is required in order to ensure safety, health and comfort. In a worst-case scenario, a water-damaged ceiling can result in mold, especially when left unattended. Indeed, mold can infiltrate any ceiling surface, whether its mortar, drywall, or plaster. The idea is to get to the underlying source of water damage.
By any definition, asbestos removal is dangerous and fraught with risk. Indeed, there are many government regulations, industry guidelines, and workplace protocols right across the country. And by no means should asbestos removal be undertaken by the inexperienced – this is work best left in the hands of the professionals. They have the tools, the equipment, the know-how, and the expertise. Above all, they are familiar with the various standards for asbestos removal.
Dealing with mold removal (including black mold) is quite a common occurrence for the typical homeowner. And because mold grows and thrives on porous material, drywall is a very welcome environment. At some point or another, every homeowner will have to deal with mold removal, and very often it will involve drywall – it’s a material that just makes for great nourishment. The fact that some mold can pose a health risk means that mold removal is absolutely essential.
For Matrix Remediation, fire damage restoration is entails a complete, comprehensive approach. We have highly experienced teams who routinely handle fire damage restoration, and manage the process from beginning to end. Above all, Matrix understands the frustration and stress that ensues with fire and/or smoke damage. Whether it’s a residential home or commercial business, our people respond professionally, and provide fire damage restoration that is efficient, effective, and most importantly fast. Our bottom line is to restore it all to original (or better) condition.
Asbestos was historically used in building construction as a flame-retardant and for thermal insulation, in both industrial and residential properties. However, in the year 2000, it was found that asbestos exposure could lead to severe health hazards ; its usage was banned thereafter. If your house is built before the year 2000, there might be a possibility that you’ve been exposed to asbestos. Through our expertise, we at Matrix Remediation fully understand the health risks of asbestos exposure and can ensure that asbestos can be removed from your home in the safest way possible. For your reference, here are the various health issues related to asbestos exposure, and why you should contact a professional company to have the asbestos in your home removed.
Water damage in your apartment or home could cause a huge headache. Water damage commonly occurs – especially in Canada – due to extreme weather. Anything from burst pipes, heating and ventilating issues, malfunctioning household appliances, or other weather-related triggers could be the source of water damage in your home. At Matrix Remediation, we understand the frustration and obstacles that homeowners or tenants can face when dealing with water damage in their living space. The good news is that in some cases, insurance policies will cover remediation of water damage. Here’s what you need to be aware of when it comes to insurance coverage on water damage.
You may know that damaged pipes, weather catastrophes, heating or ventilation issues, and malfunctioning household appliances can cause water damage to your home. But did you know that if this water damage isn’t taken care of immediately, it can ultimately destroy your home both structurally and aesthetically? Due to its high endurance, mold and mold spores infestations are common and are one of the most concerning problems to many homeowners when water damages occur. Mold spores infestations can be a threat to both your home infrastructure and your overall health. At Matrix Remediation, an IICRC certified cleaner for mold inspection and removal, we can ensure that your water damage is taken care of, and that your home is left structurally and aesthetically the way it should be. One of the most common questions we get is, can bleach clean mold spores? Here’s your answer.
We live in a world where information about a wide range of DIY projects are right at our fingertips. Whether by clicking on a link to an article or video, the Internet provides us with content of countless experts plying their trade and offering instructions for the average layperson to tackle those jobs themselves. The majority of tasks can be done through study and other step by step knowhow. However, when it comes to something as intricate and important as asbestos removal and the removal of other potentially harmful household human carcinogens, we should always leave it to the experts. Primarily because they are just that. Experts.