1-888-885-8683
info@matrixremediation.com
Bay A4, 3911 Brandon St SE
Calgary, AB T2G 4A7
10479 184st NW, Unit 100
Edmonton, AB T5S 0C7

Home

About Us

Services

FAQs

Contact Us

How to Prevent Mold After a Water Damage Experience

Residential water damage, whether from a burst pipe, a leaking roof, or a natural flood, can cause havoc for a residential homeowner. In some unfortunate cases, the damage can last long after the water recedes. And while damaged personal items can be costly to replace, the long-term effects of mold growth can be devastating. Mold growth, and the spread of mold spores, can impact the health occupants, and can sometimes take a permanent toll. Needless to say, taking immediate action and the proper restoration steps after water damage can limit the scope of injury or harm.

Step One – Assess the overall situation

Once a home has been flooded, immediate attention is critical. The space must be professionally inspected (with appropriate documentation) and special attention paid to potential hazards and safety concerns. Physical damages are less of a priority at this time, since health issues could pose immediate danger – particularly if mold is given a chance to develop, grow, and spread out.

Step Two – Extract the standing water

Extracting standing water throughout the entirety of a flooded area is critical to moving forward. This would also entail disposing of any dirt or debris that has collected. Additionally, industrial drying equipment must be used to dry the space fully and dehumidify the air. This is particularly important in preventing mold from even having the slightest chance of developing anywhere.  

Step Three – Remove damaged material

For a professional remediator, the overriding rule is to dispose of everything that was below the water flood line. This would include personal items, but also damaged building materials affected by the water. Even at this time, it’s important to check for discoloration or odor present in the surrounding area – wet drywall and/or insulation are the ideal incubators for mold growth.

Step Four – Thoroughly clean the mess

Depending on the mess, special equipment might be required, meaning that professionals might be best for the cleanup. For example, it may be necessary to vent out the vacuumed debris to the exterior of the home. Beyond the dust and dirt, there may be mold spores or other particles that would be dangerous if left suspended in the air. They may even settle back on cleaned surfaces.

Step Five – Drying the space entirely

A completely dry space will not allow mold to grow or spread. Therefore, proper drying is vital in preventing mold. As well, dehumidification is necessary, and additional sanitizing, as required. This is work for trained experts who have the right drying equipment, and who understand state-of-the-art moisture detection equipment in order to identify hidden pockets of moisture.

Step Six – Identifying residual mold

Even with professional cleaning, there may be indications of mold. Regardless of the reason for this, immediate removal is vital. This is where a Certified Specialist must be contacted in order to evaluate the scope of mold growth and provide remediation that will ensure total elimination and a perfectly clean space. Mold can be tricky, so a professional approach is the only way to go. 

Having a Water or Mold Emergency?Get a Free Quote

What Our Clients Say

JM

Janice Martin

I am going to be the owner of the house we wanted thanks to Matrix. I just wanted to personally thank you so much for putting a rush on the work and making this happen! I was so worried I was going to lose this house so thank you so much for saving it for me! I will recommend your services to anyone I come across that may need them!

CW

Cameron Williamson

Thanks for the professional work. We were going to deal with the mold removal ourselves and realized it was a bad idea. Your crew really knows what they are doing. Our place is spotless – and they even gave us some good household tips. I have no problem in recommending Matrix.

RL

Robert Lee

Thank you for coming to the rescue. I didn’t quite know how dangerous asbestos could be, but I knew it had to be removed completely and properly. Thanks for the professional touch – I feel much better now that the house is clean and safe. I hope I never have to use this service again.

READ MORE REVIEWS