Matrix Remediation Blog
Being exposed to moist and mildew-covered environments may cause an assortment of health impacts. Many people are especially sensitive to mold. For these individuals, molds can quickly cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, vomiting, eye aggravation and skin irritations.
Mold contamination can happen in any home, old or new. When the mold is visually evident, it is either beginning to spread, or has already spread. And this is exactly why removal is required. Regardless of the cause and scope of an outbreak, indoor mold is an unwelcome occurrence in need of removal. For a professional approach to mold removal in Calgary, homeowners can rely on Matrix Remediation for highly trained personnel and the most comprehensive cleanup.
With inclement weather throughout the spring, and unusually severe storm patterns, water flooding seems to be the norm today. What’s important is to take preventive measures (where possible) and to mitigate the potential for water damage. It might also be valuable to have a backup plan for water damage restoration. In Calgary, Matrix Remediation manages water damage and the associated restoration with both expertise and professionalism
Most everyone knows about the dangers of asbestos. And while not everyone may be clear about exposure to asbestos, suffice to say that asbestos conjures up images of ill health and disease. The bad news is that asbestos still lurks in some older residential homes. It may have been installed as thermal insulation, or perhaps in some manner as a flame retardant. In those days, exposure to asbestos was quite common, although not particularly dangerous as static material.
While most everyone can relate to the mold that collects around the bathtub or ceiling, black mold is less understood. For homeowners dealing with black mold in Calgary it’s important to know about this strain of mold, as well as the associated dangers (some of them potentially risky). In general, and in every home, it’s important to monitor various parts of the house for mold growth. This is particularly true when the weather changes, and when hot, humid air is more prevalent.
Mold can develop in any home - large or small - new or old - renovated or not. Indeed, it doesn’t even have to be a typical home. It can be a high-rise, a cottage, even an office building. When there are higher-than-usual levels of moisture or humidity, there’s a chance for mold to develop.
With basement flooding, regardless of the extent, it’s really important to find where the water is coming from, and why it’s entering the basement. In Calgary basements, like in most other cities across the nation, basement flooding is a realistic possibility for homeowners. In fact, insurance companies list basement floods as one of the top claims categories every year.
Mold does not discriminate - your home could be new or old, renovated or not, large or small. As a matter of fact, it doesn’t need to be a residential home. It could be a rural cottage, a high-rise condo, even an office building. The warning signs of mold, however, are common to all. And when mold is growing, and developing, and spreading, the warning signs are actually valuable. It’s a call to action, and a cautionary reminder that it’s time to do something about remediating the problem.
Asbestos is the name used to describe a group of six naturally occurring minerals that are made of unique fibrous material - fibres that are composed of millions of microscopic sized “fibrils". Asbestos is commonly referred to by colour - blue asbestos; brown asbestos; green asbestos; and white asbestos. The fibres are extremely strong, and highly resistant to heat, fire, and friction.
For homeowners considering mold testing, it’s probably because of an unwelcome occurrence that has the potential to promote mold growth. It may be due to an indoor water flood. It may be a slow plumbing leak that was never addressed. Or it may simply be very high levels of indoor humidity. Any of these is cause for concern, since any of these provides excellent conditions for mold to grow.
Water damage, regardless of the source, can be devastating both in the short term and long term. What’s important is to contain the damage that has already ensued, while preventing additional damage from developing. For the most part, the remediation process is common, whether water has intruded into a basement or flooded from a top floor. The idea is to completely extract all of the water; properly clean up the debris and damage; and fully restore the space.
With the bulk of winter practically gone, it’s only a matter of time before the snow starts to melt. This is also the time when snow and ice deposits contribute to water damage in and around the home. Noticeable or not, water damage can create havoc in a number of ways. Even with some conventional preventive measures, snow and ice have a sneaky way of causing trouble. And with melting, there’s no way to really predict where the runoff will stream and where it might settle.
Household mold is tricky – it could be hiding in your home and there may be nothing to see. Mold is actually a natural fungus that can thrive inside the home and out. Sometimes, there’s a mention of “black mold”, and this is where an infiltration can actually get dangerous. This is the time to get a professional to assess the situation and undertake a mold removal protocol where required.
Most people understand how dangerous fire can be with property damage and personal health. But not many realize how dangerous and destructive fire smoke can be. Clearly, smoke is harmful to the respiratory system, and can pose life-threatening risks. And needless to say, health is of the highest priority. But fire smoke can also affect the structure of a home, both outside and inside. This type of damage can be visible and invisible, sometimes lurking in unseen parts of the home.
When a mold infiltration crops up in a residential home, it’s a situation that absolutely needs professional attention. Mold can strike anywhere, new home or old, well maintained or not. It’s simply a matter of the right conditions - and damp environments are the ideal conditions. Whatever the case, removing a mold infiltration will require a professional, someone who will do it right the first time around. This is not an appropriate time for a DIY solution.