1019 7th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2P 1A8
10479 184st NW, Unit 100
Edmonton, AB T5S 0C7


About Us



Contact Us

Mold and Mildew – the Differences are Important

While it’s not uncommon to get mold and mildew confused, there are some important differences to consider. Like mold, mildew is a fungus, but it primarily shows itself as a white substance. Mildew is considered a superficial growth with an affinity for living plants and organic matter like wood or paper. Both mold and mildew give off a distinct odour, a sign of their presence.

Mold and mildew have some matching characteristics

In terms of commonalities, both mold and mildew thrive in moist environments (whether natural or man-made). Rooms with high levels of humidity will attract mold and mildew. As well, areas of the home where condensation collects are also welcome environments. For a start, preventing these types of environments from developing is the best way to prevent mold and mildew.

As fungi, mildew and mold will grow on a variety of surfaces, as long as the environment is warm and moist. This would include any part of the house that tends to have a high level of air moisture – like the bathroom, laundry room, and furnace room. But while these two fungi have things in common, there are also some striking differences, especially when it comes to colour and texture.

Mildew is generally considered a surface fungus, and is easily identified in “patches”, mostly in white, but sometimes in grey. Often appearing on a moist surface, mildew can usually be treated with over-the-counter cleaning solutions and a scrub brush. The idea for effective cleaning is to get down to the source of the outbreak, clean well, and prevent the possibility of future growth.

A mold infestation is distinctively different from mildew. Mold is usually black or green, growing into a much larger outbreak than mildew. Depending on the type of mold, it can also appear to be "fuzzy" and sometimes even “slimy”.  And although toxic mold is not that common in a properly maintained home, household mold could still have some negative effects on personal health.

Professional mold removal from Matrix Remediation

Without thorough and comprehensive removal, mold can quickly get out of hand. In Edmonton and Calgary, Matrix Remediation provides certified mold removal that’s guaranteed to last for the long term. What’s important is to remove mold fungus immediately, and before any residents start to experience allergic reactions (such as skin rashes, throat irritation, or sinus congestion).

There are homeowners who might opt for a DIY approach to mold removal - something that may be risky depending on the outbreak. The truth is, mold removal is best left to the professionals, experts like Matrix Remediation, who have the tools and know-how to manage the process both effectively and safely. Matrix technicians are licensed and experienced mold professionals.

With Matrix Remediation, mold removal is expedited using eco-friendly, non-toxic cleaning products. These products are hard-hitting, yet safe for humans and animals. Matrix is licensed by IICRC and accredited for remediation with hazardous substances like mold. In more serious cases, a mold hygienist is called in to assess the situation and offer corrective measures.

In the Calgary and Edmonton region, Matrix Remediation can be reached at 1-888-885-8683 or by email at info@matrixremediation.com .

Having a Water or Mold Emergency? Get a Free Quote

What Our Clients Say


Janice Martin

I am going to be the owner of the house we wanted thanks to Matrix. I just wanted to personally thank you so much for putting a rush on the work and making this happen! I was so worried I was going to lose this house so thank you so much for saving it for me! I will recommend your services to anyone I come across that may need them!


Cameron Williamson

Thanks for the professional work. We were going to deal with the mold removal ourselves and realized it was a bad idea. Your crew really knows what they are doing. Our place is spotless – and they even gave us some good household tips. I have no problem in recommending Matrix.


Robert Lee

Thank you for coming to the rescue. I didn’t quite know how dangerous asbestos could be, but I knew it had to be removed completely and properly. Thanks for the professional touch – I feel much better now that the house is clean and safe. I hope I never have to use this service again.