What To Do In Case Of Water Damage Or Flood Emergency?
Floods are the most common types of natural disasters that occur in Canada. Because floods are not as extreme in nature as something like a hurricane or an earthquake, we often don’t consider floods that dangerous or damaging, but nothing could be farther from the truth. No matter the size of flood, whether it was simply after one heavy rainstorm or if it was a flood to the scale of Calgary’s Flood of 2013 or the Red River Flood of 1997, the results can be quite costly, stressful, and even dangerous. Water damage as a result of floods is also the most expensive form of property damage. For example, the aforementioned Calgary Flood of 2013 was estimated to cost around $6 billion when the cost of damage to infrastructure and the number of insurance claims placed was calculated. This made the Calgary Flood the most expensive natural disaster in Canadian history. So what can be done if you experience water damage or a flood emergency?
During a Flood
- Depending on the severity of the flood, you may need to evacuate your home. Floods can cause the structural integrity of a home to rapidly deteriorate and the house could potentially collapse.
- If you have pets, make arrangements for their well-being.
- Make sure to document your whereabouts by leaving a note or posting on social media.
- If you’re in a car during a flood and you’re unable to get out of the flooded area, park your car on the highest ground possible. Flood waters can rise unpredictably, and being trapped in a car can be extremely dangerous.
After a Flood
- Do not return to your home until authorities or a reputable remediation company have deemed it safe to be inside.
- Do not re-enter your home until a qualified electrician has inspected it. The most dangerous part of a flood is the potential for electrocution as a result of water damage.
- For this same reason, do not turn on any appliances that were exposed to water damage. Their circuits may have become damaged thanks to water damage.
- Have your home inspected for water damage that may have contributed to compromising structural integrity.
- Once your home is deemed safe, document any and all water damage present in your home for insurance claim purposes.
- Contact a professional remediation organization like Matrix Remediation to address water damage in your home.
- Water damage can have deep, lasting impacts on many systems in your home including structural, plumbing, and electrical. Ensure that the problems caused by water damage are inspected and fixed by trained professionals.
- Have your home inspected for mold. Water damage can create a perfect habitat for mold spores to proliferate. Prevent their growth by having a mold removal expert inspect your home. A remediation company like Matrix has trained mold removal experts that always use high-quality diagnostic equipment to ensure no mold goes unnoticed.
Water damage is incredibly problematic and can cause stress and inconveniences for everyone in the home. It can also create dangerous situations in the form of electrical risk or mold. The only way to ensure that your home is repaired and safe to comfortably live in again is to have an expert remediation team get the job done right. Contact Matrix Remediation today for a free quote if you need any water damage repaired, or if you’re concerned about the potential of mold in your home.
Contact Us NOW
Please fill out the form below
for an immediate response
mold growth mold fungus mold fungus smell mold removal asbestos abatement calgary asbestos removal mold toxic effect of mold health reactions to mold mold prevention mold in the bathroom controlling mold mold in basement flooring floorboards mold removal eco-friendly mold removal mold remediation calgary asbestos calgary calgary remediation calgary mold removal