1-888-885-8683
info@matrixremediation.com
Bay A4, 3911 Brandon St SE
Calgary, AB T2G 4A7
10479 184st NW, Unit 100
Edmonton, AB T5S 0C7

Home

About Us

Services

FAQs

Contact Us

Water Damage Can Quickly Lead to Mold

Probably one of the worst side effects of water damage is an infiltration of mold. Mold can start growing within 24 hours of water damage, and potentially create havoc – both on the structure of the home and on the health of occupants. And when mold is not properly remediated, even the best repairs can’t undo an imbedded infiltration. While there’s a lot that a homeowner can do right after water damage, the help of a professional restoration contractor is highly advised.

Water damage is the perfect enabler for mold – and when water damages the structural materials that are so common in a residential home, it’s an ideal environment for mold. Mold requires moisture to breed, so a home with water damage is perfect for growing, thriving and spreading. The negative side effects of mold exposure due to water damage are quite well documented. And the health symptoms can range from mild to medium to severe. In short, it’s best to avoid contact.

Needless to say, preventing water damage in the home is the best scenario. But in the unfortunate event that water damage occurs, there’s immediate action that can be personally handled by the homeowner, and more long-term remediation that can be expedited by a professional restoration company. With water damage, immediacy is required to get things quickly under control. Beyond that, the professionals have the equipment and expertise to remediate and deal with any mold.

Quick action following water damage is highly recommended, even if only to prevent the spread of mold. To be sure, quick action can be easily undertaken by a homeowner. At the same time, the option for calling in the experts does have advantages. Bottom line, cleanup basics are common.

Removing wet carpeting or flooring is essential. Likely, these will need to be disposed. In some cases, carpets can be salvaged and cleaned.  Water logged carpet padding must be disposed.

Insulation, drywall and wood affected by water damage must be fully removed. The potential for mold growth is quite high, as this material is a breeding ground for both mold and spores.

The initial cleanup should always be done using “non-phosphate” detergents (phosphates serve to feed mold). For the non-professional, it’s very important to follow product instructions.

When using disinfectants, these are designed to kill mold, but will not prevent the regrowth of mold. An expert contractor will have the right product for totally eliminating mold and spores.

Speeding up the drying process immediately after water damage is critical, even if a remediation contractor will be taking over. Here, portable heaters, fans, and dehumidifiers are essential tools.

Beyond the basic cleanup, water damage professionals have the industrial-sized equipment that expedites fast drying and thorough dehumidifying. This is the first step in remediating mold.

For the average homeowner, it’s vital to avoid exposure to mold. And although immediate action is required when water damage occurs, nothing can substitute for care and safety. This is actually a good time to call in the experts and have them manage the process to a guaranteed completion.

Having a Water or Mold Emergency?Get a Free Quote

What Our Clients Say

JM

Janice Martin

I am going to be the owner of the house we wanted thanks to Matrix. I just wanted to personally thank you so much for putting a rush on the work and making this happen! I was so worried I was going to lose this house so thank you so much for saving it for me! I will recommend your services to anyone I come across that may need them!

CW

Cameron Williamson

Thanks for the professional work. We were going to deal with the mold removal ourselves and realized it was a bad idea. Your crew really knows what they are doing. Our place is spotless – and they even gave us some good household tips. I have no problem in recommending Matrix.

RL

Robert Lee

Thank you for coming to the rescue. I didn’t quite know how dangerous asbestos could be, but I knew it had to be removed completely and properly. Thanks for the professional touch – I feel much better now that the house is clean and safe. I hope I never have to use this service again.

READ MORE REVIEWS