1-888-885-8683
info@matrixremediation.com
Bay A4, 3911 Brandon St SE
Calgary, AB T2G 4A7
10479 184st NW, Unit 100
Edmonton, AB T5S 0C7

Home

About Us

Services

FAQs

Contact Us

The Long-Term Effects of Mold on the Body

By any description, mold has been associated (directly or indirectly) with negative health effects. Whether its mold sensitivity, allergic reactions, physical infections, or physiological disease, there are human side effects with exposure to mold. On one hand, mold conjures up damp carpeting, water leakage, and soggy drywall. On the other hand, there is also good mold:  penicillin, yeast, and various fungus strains (mushrooms). As for so-called “bad molds”, some can be dangerous. 

Indoor mold is usually unsightly, unpleasant, and smelly. Worse than that, mold that is growing and active has been associated with "toxic mold disease” as well as "sick building syndrome". But both of these have not been clearly enough defined by either government or industry. Suffice to say that mold exposure is just plain bad for humans. And for the sake of occupant health and hygiene, it should be professionally removed from residential homes, schools, and businesses.

Health effects associated with mold exposure vary with the individual, and range from basic sinus complaints, to severe headaches, to respiratory symptoms. And while direct exposure to mold may affect one person and not another, indoor mold has been identified as a public health issue that needs to be addressed, acknowledged and dealt with.  It’s therefore important to source a mold infestation, identify the scope of growth, and professionally remediate for the long term. 

In many cases, there is a causal relationship between mold exposure and human illness – it may manifest in different immune responses; in distinctive allergy reactions; and even in something serious like pneumonitis (inflammation of lung tissue). But even the experts are divided on cause and effect, although most will agree that upper respiratory symptoms (including asthma) are far more prevalent when people are exposed to damp spaces that are a breeding ground for mold.

Where respiratory issues (mild or serious) may be linked to mold exposure, it’s important to fully address the situation, and remove any source of mold. It’s also important to remediate the space so as to prevent future development and growth. Clearly, young and old, with symptoms of bronchitis, sinus infection, or respiratory illness should be removed from exposure until proper remediation is complete. And again, this is work best left to professionals with experience.

In many cases, a mold infiltration will require a professional assessment prior to any mold removal. Here, Matrix will recommend a mold hygienist for a professional evaluation, and this will ensure accuracy with regard to the mold damage. A professional evaluation will also set the stage for an effective action plan for mold removal. At Matrix, inspections (and testing) are not conducted internally - an impartial third party always performs these two functions.

Whatever the health issue or symptom, sourcing and identifying indoor mold is the priority. At Matrix Remediation, technicians are trained in professional removal and restoration (IICRC Certified). Once assessed and identified, mold removal begins, with products that are non-toxic and environmentally friendly. Remediation is tough on mold, but safe for occupants – this is a professional approach to removing mold – effective and safe, with long lasting results.

Having a Water or Mold Emergency?Get a Free Quote

What Our Clients Say

JM

Janice Martin

I am going to be the owner of the house we wanted thanks to Matrix. I just wanted to personally thank you so much for putting a rush on the work and making this happen! I was so worried I was going to lose this house so thank you so much for saving it for me! I will recommend your services to anyone I come across that may need them!

CW

Cameron Williamson

Thanks for the professional work. We were going to deal with the mold removal ourselves and realized it was a bad idea. Your crew really knows what they are doing. Our place is spotless – and they even gave us some good household tips. I have no problem in recommending Matrix.

RL

Robert Lee

Thank you for coming to the rescue. I didn’t quite know how dangerous asbestos could be, but I knew it had to be removed completely and properly. Thanks for the professional touch – I feel much better now that the house is clean and safe. I hope I never have to use this service again.

READ MORE REVIEWS