1019 7th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2P 1A8
10479 184st NW, Unit 100
Edmonton, AB T5S 0C7


About Us



Contact Us

Early Signs of Mold in the House

When allergy reactions and symptoms are more prevalent inside a home than out, there may be reason to suspect mold. This applies to a residential home as well as a workplace, mainly because of the dramatic difference between the inside and outside environments. And although there are other reasons for respiratory symptoms to surface, checking for mold is one of the more obvious.

Mold can sometimes be tricky – it can be hiding, and it can be undetectable to sight and smell. But for most of us, the scent and smell of mildew and mold is quite recognizable. This should not be ignored, if only for preventive reasons. The smell of mold, even when unseen, should prompt an inspection and assessment of the situation. Needless to say, it should be professionally examined.

Clearly, visible mold is going to be quite easy to identify, but for many homeowners, early signs of mold are often overlooked. The early signs are sometimes confused with household dirt, dust, and soot. What’s important is to notice concentrations of anything that’s unusual or different - even in small patches. The fact is, mold can quickly grow and spread and proliferate throughout.

The unique thing about mold is that visible growth can often be a sign of a larger colony thriving and growing out of sight. This makes it even more important to source and identify. To make things worse, mold can appear in a wide range of colours, from black, to gray, to brown, to white. This makes identification difficult – another reason for a mold specialist to properly evaluate.

Homeowners who have had moisture problems, condensation issues, or water leakage inside the home will usually be more disposed to mold growth as a result. In these situations, more scrutiny is advised when checking for mold. Here, water stains or paint discoloration could be evidence of mold. In any of these cases, it’s advisable to err on the side of caution and check thoroughly.

Sometimes, mold will develop in the most obvious of places:  like underneath a leaking sink, or in a previously flooded area, or around windows where condensation collects. All of these are easy to spot, and sometimes easy to resolve. In fact, for minor growth of mold, a do-it-yourself clean up may be adequate – but it’s never safe or smart to undertake a cleanup that’s more complex.

For an accurate assessment of mold, a professional approach is recommended – and that means using a trained, certified expert. At Matrix Remediation, a third party handles mold inspections, and any additional testing. This is an objective approach that also sets the stage for a viable plan of action. After all, once detected, the mold will have to be removed efficiently and carefully.

Mold assessment and testing will accurately determine the scope of an infiltration, as well as the scale of hazard. From this perspective, Matrix Remediation does it all - from assessment to testing to removal. And Matrix has the experts, resources and tools to do it right the first time.

Having a Water or Mold Emergency? Get a Free Quote

What Our Clients Say


Janice Martin

I am going to be the owner of the house we wanted thanks to Matrix. I just wanted to personally thank you so much for putting a rush on the work and making this happen! I was so worried I was going to lose this house so thank you so much for saving it for me! I will recommend your services to anyone I come across that may need them!


Cameron Williamson

Thanks for the professional work. We were going to deal with the mold removal ourselves and realized it was a bad idea. Your crew really knows what they are doing. Our place is spotless – and they even gave us some good household tips. I have no problem in recommending Matrix.


Robert Lee

Thank you for coming to the rescue. I didn’t quite know how dangerous asbestos could be, but I knew it had to be removed completely and properly. Thanks for the professional touch – I feel much better now that the house is clean and safe. I hope I never have to use this service again.