1019 7th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2P 1A8
10479 184st NW, Unit 100
Edmonton, AB T5S 0C7


About Us



Contact Us

How Did Mold Grow In My Attic?

Are you wondering how mold got into what you thought was a properly insulated home? Or why your humidifier is creating more problems than solving them? And maybe why mold grew in your attic before the rest of your home? There are many reasons as to why and how mold can sneak into your attic, but here are the four most common reasons.

First, there may be air leaks that were not sealed in your attic. If there are any potential areas where air leaks can breach into your attic, there is a chance for moisture from the outside to infiltrate into the dry areas. The moisture leaks into the attic’s spaces and attaches onto the dry areas, causing condensation, and then, you’re left with mold. Mold fosters an environment for bacteria to grow and spread, and is directly connected to instances where air leaks were not sealed.

Secondly, there may not be proper ventilation in your attic. Attic ventilation is key when building a home, as stale air rises into the tops of homes and is captured there. When there is proper ventilation in an attic, it prevents moisture-filled air from becoming stuck in the confined space; which in turn creates mold. By adding more ventilation to an attic, it will lessen the possibility of mold growing and spreading in your  home. Since attics aren’t always properly ventilated, their a key target for mold in your home.

Home humidifiers are also a large issue when it comes to attics. Warm, humidified air can rise to the top of the house and create the perfect atmosphere for mold. Humidifiers are beneficial to only certain areas in dry homes, but in the long run they tend to destroy smaller, less ventilated areas, like an attic. Try and avoid keeping your humidifier on when you don’t need it, as it’s one of the most common reasons for mold in the attic.

Finally, one of the top reasons for mold in an attic is a leaky roof. The leaky roof allows the moisture to protrude into the dry attic on the walls, floors and even belongings you may have stored in the area. You can prevent mold from growing in your attic if you dry the water from the leaking roof as soon as it enters your home. Because attics are usually damp, drying up the water after a leak is crucial. In the Winter time, when ice and snow on the rooftops are melting, there is a higher risk for leakage.

There’s a common misconception that mold only grows in warmer temperatures, but in fact, mold is most commonly grown in attics throughout Winter. Throughout the cold season, ice and snow melt and freeze every day. It’s crucial to ensure that you have proper ventilation in your attic, completely sealed areas, and adequate roofing to sustain this season.

If you’re looking for more information regarding how to remove mold in your attic or throughout your household, Matrix Remediation offers services such as; mold removal & inspection, water damage & restoration, and construction/reconstruction. Visit our website for more information at www.matrixremediation.com or contact us by email at info@matrixremediation.com

Having a Water or Mold Emergency? Get a Free Quote

What Our Clients Say


Janice Martin

I am going to be the owner of the house we wanted thanks to Matrix. I just wanted to personally thank you so much for putting a rush on the work and making this happen! I was so worried I was going to lose this house so thank you so much for saving it for me! I will recommend your services to anyone I come across that may need them!


Cameron Williamson

Thanks for the professional work. We were going to deal with the mold removal ourselves and realized it was a bad idea. Your crew really knows what they are doing. Our place is spotless – and they even gave us some good household tips. I have no problem in recommending Matrix.


Robert Lee

Thank you for coming to the rescue. I didn’t quite know how dangerous asbestos could be, but I knew it had to be removed completely and properly. Thanks for the professional touch – I feel much better now that the house is clean and safe. I hope I never have to use this service again.